Mod_lua is an Apache module that enables the use of the Lua scripting language in web applications. It is a powerful tool that can be used to add functionality to websites or to create completely new web applications.
mod_lua is based on the Lua interpreter, which is a small, efficient, and easy-to-learn scripting language. It is well-suited for web development, and its small size makes it ideal for use on constrained devices such as routers and set-top boxes.
mod_lua enables web developers to use Lua to script their web applications. This allows them to take advantage of the power and flexibility of Lua while still using the familiar Apache environment.
How mod_lua works
Mod_lua is an Apache module that allows you to use the Lua programming language in conjunction with the Apache web server. Lua is a powerful, lightweight, and fast programming language that is perfect for scripting web applications. Mod_lua makes it easy to use Lua in your Apache applications, and gives you the ability to use the full range of Apache features.
Mod_lua is based on the lua-5.1.5 library. This library provides the basic functionality needed to run Lua scripts, including a parser, a bytecode compiler, and a virtual machine. The mod_lua module uses this library to provide a bridge between the Apache web server and the Lua programming language.
When you install mod_lua, it is automatically configured to run with the Apache web server. There is no need to edit any configuration files. You can start using mod_lua immediately, without any further setup.
The mod_lua module provides a number of features that allow you to use Lua in your Apache applications. These features include:
- The ability to run Lua scripts as CGI programs.
- The ability to run Lua scripts as part of an Apache module.
- The ability to call Lua functions from within Apache directives.
- The ability to include Lua scripts in HTML documents.
- The ability to use Lua to process form data.
- The ability to use Lua to generate dynamic pages.
- The ability to use Lua to process cookies.
- The ability to use Lua to process HTTP headers.
- The ability to use Lua to handle errors.
- The ability to use Lua to create custom filters.
The mod_lua module also provides a number of other features, including:
- A comprehensive API that allows you to access all of the functionality of the Lua programming language.
- A built-in debugger that allows you to debug your Lua scripts.
- A comprehensive set of documentation that explains how to use mod_lua.
- A large number of example scripts that show how to use mod_lua in a variety of different applications.
The mod_lua module is open source software, and is available for free download from the mod_lua website.